Beem & Isley, P.C.
Call Us Today For A Free Consultation
Menu Contact

I can't pay my taxes, what now?

Even though tax season has already passed, many taxpayers still remain quite stressed about their financial situation. This is often the case when you owe taxes that you can't pay, which means you'll be faced with the prospect of costly penalties until your taxes are sufficiently paid off. H&R Block explains a few steps you can take if you're unable to remit the taxes you owe. 

First and foremost, never ignore your tax bill. This will only make the problem monumentally worse and will add on to the amount you owe the IRS. If your current financial situation is dire, you can apply for currently not collectible (CNC), which is an option for people facing financial hardships. In this case, the IRS would suspend taxes owed for a certain period until your financial situation improves. This entails a thorough review of your financial standing so that the IRS can determine whether you qualify for CNC status. Once you become financially stable, the IRS will expect you to begin remitting payment. 

You may also be applicable for a payment plan. Instead of paying one large lump sum, which can be quite impossible for most people, you can pay off your taxes in installments. There are a variety of installment plans available. Depending on your situation, a simplified plan may be right for you, or you might need to apply for a more complex plan. In this case, the IRS will request certain documents before the installment plan can be implemented.

For people who own very few assets and are struggling cover crucial daily living expenses, an offer in compromise might be the best option. This allows your tax amount to be decreased so it's easier to pay. The IRS will determine your ability to pay by looking at your income and other factors, and from there will make a determination on whether your tax burden should be cut down. An offer in compromise can also be afforded when you dispute the amount owed. If so, the IRS will perform an audit to determine whether your claim has any merit. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent - Peer Rated for Highest Level of Professional Excellence – High Ethical Standing The national top 100 trial Lawyers Lead counsel rated
Clifford Lee Beem
Rated by Super Lawyers

loading ...
Best Attorneys of America - 2018 member
5280 magazine - Top Attorneys in colorado American board of trial advocates CTLA-colorado trial lawyers association CBA - colorado bar association The National Trial Lawyers

*AV Preeminent and BV Distinguished are certification marks of Reed Elsevier Properties Inc., used in accordance with the Martindale-Hubbell certification procedures, standards and policies. Martindale-Hubbell is the facilitator of a peer review rating process. Ratings reflect the confidential opinions of members of the Bar and the judiciary. Martindale-Hubbell ratings fall into two categories - legal ability and general ethical standards.

Contact Us For A Consultation

To speak to one of our Denver injury and civil litigation lawyers, call 303-894-8100 or send an email using our online contact form. Initial consultations are free, and we offer evening and weekend appointments upon request.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

email us for a response
office building

Beem & Isley, P.C.
730 17th St
Suite 850
Denver, CO 80202

Phone: 303-894-8100
Fax: 303-894-8200
Denver Law Office Map